This is should be a prospective customer's number one call to action, e.g., requesting a quote or perusing your product catalog.
- Northeastern University, J.D., 1983
- American University, B.A., 1974
- Hawaii (1983)
- U.S. District Court, District of Hawaii
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit and District of Columbia Circuits
Associations & Memberships
- Hawai`i State and American Bar Associations (Member, Sections on: Labor and Employment Law; Litigation)
- Federal Bar Association
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Society for Human Resource Management Hawai`i Chapter
- Hawaii Employers Council
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest recognition possible in the legal industry for professionalism and ethics
- Hawaii Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America
- Chambers and Partners Peer Rating
- Hawaii State Bar Association 2002 'Niu Award' for pro bono legal services for the homeless
- Chairman of the Board of Directors (2007-2008), Chamber of Commerce of Hawai'i
- Chairman of the Board of Directors (2011), Goodwill Industries of Hawai'i
- Chairman of the Board of Governors (2012-2013), Hawaii Employers Council
Publications and Presentations
- American Bar Association Annual Meeting (2006) - "Recent Developments in Collective Bargaining"; "Defending Wrongful Discharge Claims Under Hawaii Law"
- Hawaii State Bar Association Annual Convention (2002) - "ADA, the Defense Perspective"
- Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM) 2002 State Conference - "What's New in Employment Legislation, Regulation and Cases?" and SHRM 2004 State Conference - "Realistic Examples of the ADA Reasonable Accommodation"
Representative Cases and Matters
Collective Bargaining (2003)
Chief Management Negotiator for the Honolulu public transit system (The Bus). Negotiated contract ending four week transit strike.
IBEW Local 1357 v. Hawaiian Telcom, 20-CA-075995 (2012)
Where National Labor Relations Board upheld company position that it reached bona fide impasse in contract negotiations and therefore could lawfully implement its last, best and final offer, including pension freeze and health insurance cost sharing.
Hawaii Civil Rights Commission v. Jeyte, 88 Haw. 85, 962 P.2d 344 (1998) PDF
Counsel for defendant in a case of first impression in which the Hawaii Supreme Court ruled sovereign immunity did not shield the HCRC from liability to defendants for negligent investigation of defenses to discrimination claims.
Alaka'i Na Keiki, Inc. v. State of Hawaii, Dept. of Education, 127 Haw. 263 (2012)
Hawaii Supreme Court clarified the scope of judicial power under the Hawaii Constitution and ruled that state procurement law must be read to permit judicial review of agency procurement decisions in order to avoid serious constitutional question of separation of powers.
Ross v. Stouffer Hotels, 76 Haw. 454 (1994)
Counsel for defendant in a case of first impression addressing marital status discrimination in employment. The Hawaii Supreme Court narrowed the common law doctrine of discharge in violation of public policy and affirmed a favorable summary judgment standard for dismissal of infliction of emotional distress claims.
Coyaso v. Bradley Pacific Aviation, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 62144, 2012 WL 1580470 (D. Haw. 2012) , aff'd, 578 Fed. Appx. 715, 2015 U.S. App., LEXIS 11157, 2014 WL 2696741 (9th Cir. 2014)
Defended aircraft fueling company in a case alleging discrimination under Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA). Employee returning from military duty in Kuwait was discharged after employer investigation showed that plaintiff was at fault in physical altercation. Obtained summary judgment in the U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii.
Leeward Autowreckers v. NLRB, 841 F.2d 1143 (D.C. Cir. 1988)
Represented Hawaii small business in unfair labor practice proceedings where National Labor Relations Board was ordered to pay Leeward Autowreckers $50,000.00 under the Equal Access to Justice Act for having to defend against a meritless ULP charge.
Krauss v. Management Technical Services, 10 IER Cases (BNA) 773 (D. Haw. 1994)
Obtained summary judgment on all claims in federal district court whistleblower case in which grounds maintenance manager claimed he was terminated for reporting alleged violations of government contract.
In re Oahu Transit Services and Hawaii Teamsters and Allied Workers, Local 996, 120 Lab. Arb (BNA) 604 (2004)
Employer bus company did not violate collective bargaining agreement by assigning unit employees to perform non-bargaining unit work.